Time: >30 mins
I was really craving some chicken lettuce wraps from PF Changs. Too bad the closest one PFs Changs is an hour away! Loading up the kids on a weeknight, driving an hour to eat, then driving back an hour is not worth it. So, I googled a copy cat recipe for the chicken lettuce wraps! So smart! But everything I’ve found called for hoisin sauce. Unfortunately, all of the hoisin sauces being sold in my area have MSG in it. Sometimes my kids can tolerate MSG in foods. But most of the time, their throat gets scratchy or they get headaches. Usually, I just don’t risk it and if we go to a restaurant that cooks with it I make sure to give them a lot of water and it subsides about 30 minutes after we finish eating.
So I decided to make a variation of some sort of crunchy, Asian-inspired, healthy thing… and here it is! The best part is that you can eat four or five and you won’t feel so full that you hate yourself afterwards!
1 Package Ground Chicken
½ Red Onion, diced
½ Eggplant, cut into ½ inch cubes
½ Package of Baby Portabella Mushrooms, roughly chopped
2 TB Sesame Oil
2 TB Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Black Pepper
Romaine Lettuce or Bib Lettuce
1. In a large skillet, heat sesame oil over medium high heat. Once the oil is shimmery, add the diced red onion, eggplant, and mushrooms and cook until the onion is halfway translucent and the mushrooms and eggplant are a little soft.
2. Create a “hole” in the middle of the pan by scraping the veggies to the outside of the pan.
3. Put the ground chicken in the middle of the veggie “hole”. Season chicken with soy sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper and mix.
4. Once chicken begins to get color, mix the veggies and the meat together. Allow veggies to get soft and translucent, the meat to brown, and the soy sauce and oil absorb – about 10-15 minutes.
5. After the mixture cooked, wash and dry lettuce, dress with shaved carrots and cilantro, and ground chicken.
6. Eat many lettuce boats/cups, enjoy, and don’t feel guilty!
In the comments, share your favorite guilt free foods or recipes! I can’t wait to try them!