The Sunny Six is a monthly feature of six of my favorite items. These items are essential to my well being as a wife, mother, grad student, human, nerd, and whatever else I feel like being that day.
If you read my past blog about “How to Look Put Together When You Have No Time”, I shared my tips on how I look like I have my life under control when Jay is gone. These six items are what I use daily if not weekly.
I hope you like the products I recommend. Sunny in June may collect a small percentage of sales from the links on this page. Please see my disclaimer page.
1. Conair Hot Rollers. I was recommended these hot rollers by my NC Hairstylist, Rachel. They are a huge time saver. You plug them in and wait for them to get hot. While you’re waiting you can get dressed, brush teeth, or do whatever you have to do. I section my hair off into three large sections – on top, like a mowhawk, and one over each ear. Next I take the big hot roller and I take ½ “ to 1” pieces of hair and I roll them towards the back, away from my face. Finish putting the rest of the rollers in using the same technique, rolling away from the face. Then go eat breakfast, or clean the house, or get a kid ready. Do whatever you need to do because you have two. free. hands.! When the rollers are cool, take them out, run your fingers through your hair, spray with hair spray, and then go about your day. When you first take out the rollers, your hair is going to be BIG. But as the day goes on, it mellows out a little. I found a hair rolling tutorial on YouTube, HERE.
2. Rhoto Cooling Eye Drops. Mom + Grad Student = 4 hours of sleep, if I’m lucky. So yes, I have big huge bags under my eyes and yes, they’re bloodshot. In the morning before I put my contacts in, I put 2 drops in each eye. The mentholly burn wakes me up, but after, the whites of my eyes are so bright it’s like I got 8 hours of sleep!
3. Gel Mani Light. I got this bad boy from WalMart. I like my nails done but I don’t like paying $40 for a gel manicure every other week. So I bought this light from WalMart a few years ago. It came in a set, with nail color and gel included, but that’s long gone. Now I buy whatever color I want and a gel top coat from Amazon. I paint my nails with regular nail polish, put a coat of gel, cure it for one minute, put another coat of gel, and cure it for another minute. The only downside is that you can only work with one nail at a time. I use this to my advantage, though, because in between painting nails and curing, I give some attention to the kids or use the restroom, then continue painting. You can do a gel manicure at your house for free 99.
4. Veet Wax Strips. I am so lazy. I don't even know how some men shave their face every day. I don’t even know how some women shave their under arms and legs every other day. With these wax strips I only have to wax my underarms once a week. I wax my legs probably once a month. I do it in front of the TV while the kids play. There is wax already on them, so you don’t have to worry about a stick and wax dripping all over the place.
5. Elf Lip Color. Elf used to be an online shop, now almost any major drug store carries this make up line. I like "Praline" a lot because it’s matte, it lasts long, and it makes my teeth look whiter than they actually are! Hah! Here are 5 other lip colors that are amazing!
6. Scunci Jelly Pony Tail Holders. I finally found a hair tie worthy enough. When Isaac’s hair was long, these were the only things that would hold his super soft baby hair. At the gym, these hair ties are the only thing to hold my pineapple-esque high bun. They feel like those rubber jelly bracelets I used to wear as a emo/punk/alternative music loving preteen. They are stretchy and comfortable to wear and will not slip out! Be careful though, they’re a little tight to wear on your wrist.
What are some beauty essentials you swear by?